Thursday 28 January 2010

Pyjama-rama

Apparantly it's not limited to a selective few oddballs. It's not even an act that is considered embarrassing. In fact, it's supposedly becoming a national phenomenon. I'm referring to Britain's movement towards a more pyjama proud populus - specifically in the aisles of our fruits and veg. Supermarkets have had to explicity state on signs outside their doors that customers must be wearing appropriate dress and footwear, i.e. not your slips and nightgown. Some customers have remarked that those who shop in their loungewear cause them to be "embarrassed" and "offended".

I can't decide what to make of this. On the one hand, the image of myself doing the weekly shop in my pyjama top and bottoms causes my face to screw up in dread and I can't suppress the instinctive reaction to snort in derision. But I also can't help but enjoy the fact that people feel comfortable enough with what they are wearing (albeit not much) to go out in public like this. To be honest, with the recent surge in popularity of those grey trackie bottoms that every man and his dog seem to be wearing, coupled with the resilience of the fuggin' ugg boot, it's not suprising that we're taking things back to basic. Emphasis on casual comfort and... wearing what you sleep in? Perhaps this is a new market the fashion industry can tap into a little more. It's the only item of clothing that's still not produced in any manner that can really be considered 'high fashion', isn't it? Hell, if Britain is known for its multi-culturalism, perhaps it can be known for its 'multi-couturism' too...?

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Jones,

    More money should definitely be invested into making LoungeChic and jammies more exciting and edgy [:D] whilst still retaining loungey comfort and practicality. I'm thinking soft drapeyness, bat wings, hareem crotches, ruffles, giant pockets.. There's definitely some wiggle room for stylish improvements. I'm sure you'd feel a lot better about popping to the shops in jammies if they looked more Vibskov than Primarni ;D

    BUT as much as I love and live in my jammies as much as I'm 'allowed' to I still don't want a jammie revolution to replace everyday wear. I just want to look good when I'm lounging in the house :D Looking bitch shouldn't stop when you walk through the door after a hard day's whalin' at the office. Let's all learn from Carrie Bradshaw and wear pearls to bed :D I know I snuggled down in my blazer last night.

    Stylish dreamzz
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete