Tuesday 2 March 2010

Book off

I had the oddest thought today, and it simply came from the act of carrying a couple of books around. That's right: books, in my arms, being carried. It gets no more complicated than that. This seemingly redundant process of movement (WITH BOOKS!) reminded me of my BA days. Oh, I was an English student, put on this earth for one reason, and one reason only... to learn in the ways of the Literai! The crumpled pages of a beaten-up second-hand volume of Gaskell's North & South, the hard-bound spine of a text by some wonderfully arbitary author ruminating on the structures of power in a Pinter play, the piles of books discussing Wilde, and Faulkner, and Joyce, and Eliot... This excess that I lumbered around was an armour that swelled up in my chest and the layered pleats of the pages were my protection, voicing the sentiment that 'I was learning!' I was learning, and even as I moved the pressure points of my fingertips were drinking all that inky knowledge up, where it would lie dormant in my mind as tiny fractured splinters of wisdom until I needed to call on them to support an exclamation of swaggering and moving importance...

Then I realised I was walking, carrying some books.

3 comments:

  1. I've got no battery on my phone ;p and I wasn't sure if you'd check your emails. Thought this would be the best place to reach you :D Haha.
    I'm in the process of booking those days off. Cheapo Portugal agogo!
    *cocks leg*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has nothing to do with the post! :/
    Ily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright alright sonny jim!
    I love a fingertip that can drain inky knowledge..I may have to get me one of those bad boys :)

    I miss learning :( In my efforts to cling onto the idea that I can be productive I made the mistake of taking minutes at a meeting today. OH DEER.

    Ily!

    ReplyDelete