Thursday 5 November 2009

Mr Blog and I

It was only in the aftermath of an inordinate amount of time spent formatting an image of Robbie Williams from a GIF file to a JPEG one - a stupidly simple task - that I realised how much I missed the blog that never was.

Mr Blog and I have had a rocky relationship. I first heard of him through the casual chit-chat of those in the know. There seemed to be a buzz about the chap, but I dismissed it as nothing more than hype. Then I caught a glimpse of him; clean-shaven, smart but distinct, with a style all of his own. He was perhaps a little rough around the edges, but we could soon sort that out. However, modern-day cynicism soon set in, and I decided quite quickly that this was no doubt a case of style over substance; all talk and no trousers.

And then, like all the great romances, one day Mr Blog and I just happened to bump into each other. I suppose I should have expected it - I was in his neighbourhood. We got to talking, and it turns out he's a great listener. And what do you know, he shares a lot of the same opinions as me. And so friendly and polite, a complete gentleman. Never interrupts. My heart starts racing and I'm thinking, 'Gosh, this could really be something!'

So, I invite him back for coffee and we started playing around... Then we start fooling around... Which is playing around minus the coffee... Turns out I really know how to turn him on. When we'd shut down for the night, my mind would run rampant with all the, ahem, conversations we'd had. I really felt like I could get something out of this relationship.

We continued fooling around for a couple of weeks, but it wasn't long before the cracks started to show. He couldn't keep anything I told him private. He just regarded our relationship as an open book, for anyone to read. And then he stopped communicating with me altogether...! Can you believe that? He was happy to talk to other people about us, but had nothing to say to me. The nerve! I lost interest in him, and as a result didn't put the effort into our relationship that I perhaps should have... The answer was inevitable.

I deleted him from my life.

Life continued for 6 months or so, and I didn't think much of Mr Blog. And then tonight I found myself in his neighbourhood again. I was certain that he'd tricked me, but something inside me had brought me back here. That old familiar feeling rose up, and before I could stop myself I was caught in his net once more. And that's where I am right now.

The problem before was that I was trying to define our relationship. This time I'm happy for it to be an open one. As long as we're both committed, communicate with each other and keep things exciting, then we should be fine. Like that Robbie Williams photo, I knew our relationship was never going to be picture perfect, but then perhaps I'm missing the bigger picture...?

No comments:

Post a Comment